|The Australian Government Department of Health (Department of Health) has issued a Disability Provider Alert with updated information for disability providers.|
· The Department of Health has issued a new Disability Provider Alert.
· The alert contains an update on vaccination in disability residential settings, vaccine information for disability workers not eligible in phase 1a, and information about Easy Read resources.
· The Department of Health is hosting a webinar for people with disability and their support networks on Thursday 5 August 2021 from 11.30am to 12.30pm AEST.
· Information and support to access COVID-19 vaccinations should be facilitated, to both NDIS participants and workers.
Department of Health provider alert (2 August 2021)
The Department of Health has issued a COVID-19 vaccination – Disability Provider Alert (2 August 2021).
The alert contains important information about the continued rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine, including:
· an update about the phase 1a vaccine in-reach program to disability residential settings
· information about the access to vaccines for disability workers not eligible in phase 1a
We encourage you to read the provider alert for full details.
Webinar for people with disability and their support networks
The Department of Health is hosting a webinar for people with disability and their support networks on Thursday 5 August 2021 from 11.30am to 12.30pm AEST.
The panel, who will answer questions about the vaccination program, will be:
· Dr Steph Davis - Deputy Chief Medical Officer
· Ms Chris Faulkner - Assistant Secretary, COVID-19 Task Force – Disability
· Grace Edward - Partnerships and Community Engagement Coordinator for the CALD COVID Health Engagement Project at Refugee Health Network Queensland.
Follow this link to register to attend the webinar.
We strongly encourage you to share this information with the people with disability that you support, and their support networks.
Promoting access to COVID-19 Vaccinations
Information about access to COVID-19 vaccinations should be promoted, to both the NDIS participants you support and your workers.
Supporting NDIS participants to access COVID-19 vaccinations
Our provider alert of 9 June 2021 contained resources to help you to support them to understand the vaccination process and to provide informed consent.
Our fact sheet, called ‘COVID-19 Vaccines: Informed consent, preparing for the vaccine, and restrictive practices’, aims to assist NDIS providers to better understand their obligations when supporting people with disability to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
The Australian Government Department of Health (Department of Health) has published an information page on their website for people with disability about COVID-19 vaccines. This page contains important information for providers and participants about COVID-19 vaccines, and will be updated regularly. A range of Easy Read and Auslan resources about the COVID-19 vaccines are also available.
We encourage you to visit this page.
Vaccination advice and information for disability workers
The Department of Health issued a Disability Provider Alert on 12 July 2021. This alert contained strong encouragement from National Cabinet for all disability workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19, to protect your own health and the health of the people with disability you support.
We encourage you to read the full details in the alert.
The Department of Health has dedicated information pages for disability service providers about COVID-19 vaccines.
· Providers: The webpage for disability service providers contains information and resources to help you plan for the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.
· Disability workers: The webpage for disability workers contains information and resources about COVID-19 vaccines for disability workers.
The Department of Health will continue to update the information on these pages, so we strongly encourage you to visit these pages regularly.
NDIS Commission COVID-19 information and resources
The COVID-19 vaccine information webpage on our website contains links to updates about COVID-19 vaccines and resources for NDIS providers.
We also have a COVID-19 vaccine webpage containing information for people with disability.
Call: 1800 035 544 (free call from landlines). Our contact centre is open 9.00am to 5.00pm (9.00am to 4.30pm in the NT), Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.